Biography of Fr. Kevin E. Mackin, OFM
Fr. Kevin, a member of the Franciscan community at St. Anthony’s Friary in St. Petersburg, Fla., began service at St. Raphael Catholic Church in St. Petersburg in the summer of 2014.
A priest in the Order of Friars Minor, Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, Fr. Kevin was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. He first served at Siena College during the 1970s, as an assistant and associate professor of religious studies, chair of the department, and guardian (leader) of the 50-member Franciscan community.
In 1982, he was appointed president-rector of Christ the King Seminary, a graduate theological school in East Aurora, N.Y. During his tenure there, he chaired the Seminary Department of the National Catholic Educational Association, Washington, D.C. Fr. Kevin has served on various national, diocesan, Franciscan and educational committees, including reaccreditation teams and papal visitation teams in the United States.
He was assigned in 1988 to direct development and public relations for the Franciscans of the Province of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, based in New York City.
From 1996 to 2007, he served as president of Siena College and is President Emeritus there. Siena College reached unprecedented growth in its offerings, with several state-of-the-art additions, a college-wide honors program, Pre-Law, Broadcast Studies, and Center for the Study of Government and Politics, among other accomplishments.
As president of Mount Saint Mary College in Newburgh, N.Y., from 2008-2014, he facilitated a five-year strategic plan; oversaw the conclusion of a $10+ million capital campaign, and launched and successfully concluded another; oversaw major capital projects (including purchase and renovation of the Dominican Center properties); and added 17 new faculty, as well as a Catholic and Dominican Institute. He also served as Professor of Religious Studies.
Fr. Kevin holds a bachelor’s degree in philosophy from St. Bonaventure University, a master’s in history from Siena College, and credentials from Catholic University of America: a bachelor’s degree in sacred theology, a master’s in religious education, a licentiate of sacred theology, and a doctorate in sacred theology cum laude. He is also an alumnus of the Harvard Institutes for Higher Education, and completed several other programs, including Clinical Pastoral Education.
Christian Theological Tradition, Catholic Tradition, Intro to Biblical Studies, Modern Search for Jesus, Contemporary Catholic Thought, Contemporary Protestant Thought, The Gospels
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS include
- Association of Franciscan Colleges and Universities (Past Chair)
- Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities (Past Member of Board of Directors)
- Association of Governing Board of Colleges & Universities
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education (Commissioner:2005-2014)
- Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Council of Presidents (Past Chair)
- Commission on Independent Colleges & Universities, NY State (Past Trustee)
- Orange County Chamber of Commerce (Board of Directors)
- Catholic Theological Society of America
- Council for the Advancement and Support of Education
- National Society of Fund Raising Executives
- American Prospect Research Association
- International Who’s Who of Professionals
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS include
- United States Congressional Record of the 111th Congress (E747)State of New York
- Legislative Resolution Honor (Senate No. 2243)
- Department of the Army’s Commander’s Award for Public Service
- The Tech Valley Business Hall of Fame Award
- Vice President for Student Affairs Special Recognition Award
- Marketer – Executive – Citizen Award (Sales & Marketing Executives International, Eastern New York)
- Teresian Community Service Award
- Dr. James M. Bell Humanitarian Award
- Monsignor Burns Memorial Award
- Irish Education 100
BROADCASTS AND PUBLICATIONS include
- Guest/spokesperson on numerous programs
- Hosted News & Views half hour interview program, discussing current topics with education, business and community leaders, as well as students (WVCR FM 88.3)
- “Cultivating Catholic Identity on Campus” in Lay Leaders in Catholic Higher Education (Fairfield, CT: Sacred Heart University Press, 2005)
- Chapter in Promising Practices: Collaboration Among Catholic Bishops and University Presidents (Sacred Heart University Press, 2005)
- “New ways to deliver message” in The Times Union, Hearst Newspaper (about News & Views radio program)
- In Search of the Authentic Christian Tradition (Washington, DC: University Press of America, 1977)
Blessing of Animals http://www.americancatholic.org/Features/francis/blessing.asp
From the Siena Community https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWVVOrXWPr8&feature=youtu.be
From the Mount Community MSMC/Photo_Gallery/the_college/honoring_fr_kevin_e_mackin_ofm.be