Sunday, September 24, 2017

Blessed John H. Newman: A Great Religious Thinker

John H. Newman in 1844
In the Gospel according to Matthew, Jesus speaks about workers. Some are hired at the beginning of the day, others at the end.  Yet all receive the same day’s wage. We might complain this isn’t fair. Shouldn’t those who worked 12 hours receive more than those who worked only one hour? But the parable is not about fairness. It’s about generosity: God’s generosity to us.

I've been reflecting these last few weeks on the spirituality of holy men and women whose lives  and writings can help nourish us spiritually, and lift us out of our routine into a deeper life with God.  Today I would like to highlight Blessed John Henry Newman, the influential 19th century British priest and theologian who wrote 40 books and 21,000 letters that survive.

The fullness of revelation, Newman emphasized, resides in the person of Jesus Christ. Belief statements try to capture, but never fully, the inexhaustible reality of this God-man. Hence, Christianity must grow and develop, just as we grow and develop; we change yet we're the same person. And there must be an authority on the truth of these developments.

Newman spent the first half of his life in the Church of England. His research eventually moved him to be received into the worldwide Catholic Church. He was a supporter of unity and a pioneer in emphasizing the active role of the laity in the Church: the “Spirit dwells in the Church and in the hearts of the faithful as in a temple.”

Newman's writings reflect the spirit of the Second Vatican Council (1962-65). The Church is always reform-able, holy yet made of sinners. God reveals himself to us in Jesus. Word and sacrament mutually reinforce one another. The Eucharist is “the summit toward which the activity of the Church is directed” and “the font” from which her spiritual power flows.

In relation to today’s word of God, I highlight two awesome prayers by Newman. The first relates to purpose: our purpose in life.

“God has created me to do Him some definite service. He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another. I have my mission...I shall do His work. I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place, while not intending it, if I but keep His commandments and serve Him in my calling. Therefore, I will trust Him, whatever, wherever I am…If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him, in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him...God knows what He is about. He may take away my friends. He may throw me among strangers. He may make me feel desolate, make my spirits sink, hide my future from me. Still, He knows what He is about.”

The second prayer by Newman holds one of my favorite images of God: light. This poem is a hymn. Here is a very recognizable verse:

“Lead, Kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom, Lead Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home, Lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see the distant scene;
one step enough for me....
So long Your power hath blest me, sure it still will lead me on" into eternal light.

May we all find our purpose in life; and may the light of Jesus Christ lead us into our eternal dwelling place.